Improved security across Adelaide Metro bus, train, tram and network
When: Thursday 30 May 2019
The Department for Infrastructure and Transport (DIT) will be working towards the roll out of additional security measures across the public transport network in the coming months.
This next stage of a comprehensive security service contract with Wilson Security Pty Ltd, builds on the current services and will comprise of:
- Intelligence-based security resulting in a wider coverage using guards and patrols with greater flexibility to respond to incidents, including:
- An increase in roving guards able to move between trains, trams, buses, stations, stops and interchanges to provide a deterrence and to deal with serious incidents where needed
- An increase in mobile, rapid-response vehicle patrols, checking the public transport network every night and responding to incidents
- Smarter, evidence-based targeting of incident hotspots, including major stations and interchanges.
This builds on the department’s existing security arrangements, which includes:
- Real-time CCTV monitoring and response management from the 24/7 Security Hub, which provides targeted monitoring of CCTV across the Adelaide Metro network
- An active security presence that reminds public transport users their safety is being monitored - including the use of body-worn cameras on guards.
The security and safety of our public transport users and our staff is our highest priority. This next stage is a result of community surveys and extensive consultation with Wilson Security, and will continue to complement extensive safety and security arrangements and partnerships already in place with South Australia Police.
If you suspect that a serious crime is in progress or if you suspect, have just seen, or have just been involved in a crime, call Police Emergency on 000.
For non-urgent police assistance, call Police Assistance on 131 444.